|We were founded in 1812, and since 1819 have been on our present city centre site. The 1819 building, known as 'The Athenaeum,' was destroyed in the 1941 blitz, together with the mueum. library and lecture room.|
The current building was opened in 1961, when our name was changed from 'The Plymouth Institution' to 'The Plymouth Athenaeum'. It includes a local interest library, lecture room, large lounge and a 340 seat auditorium. We regret that the theatre is closed from July 30th 2009 until further notice.
We are self supporting and self governing. Our income comes solely from membership fees, theatre hiring fees and donations. We do not receive support from Plymouth City Council, nor from the Arts Council.
We are governed by a Council elected annually by members.
The Devonshire Association is a county-wide organisation with similar aims and objectives.